On Your Mark. Get Set.

The games of the 29th Olympiad have opened! And I'm ready at the needles to begin my Olympic Project - the Clapotis shawl.


I'm representing Team Junkie (of the Malabrigo Junkies) in the Ravelympics on Ravelry. The event I'm "competing" in is the Shawl Relay. I say competing because it's really just about challenging yourself not about competing with others.

A brief description of the rules:
  1. Choose a project appropriate for the event
  2. Cast on allowed after the Opening Ceremonies start Aug 8 8:00pm Beijing time (approx 8:00am for those of us in EDT)
  3. Knit on the project only while watching the Olympics (DF Heather noted for me that there is online coverage throughout the day so if I'm in need of additional time I can use this - don't tell the boss)
  4. Complete the project by end of Closing Ceremonies Beijing time (Aug 24 11:59am EDT)
At this, the start of the Shawl Relay, I'd like to enumerate the parts of my relay - which I hope to blog about during the event.
  1. Set-up
  2. Increase Rows
  3. Straight Rows
  4. Decrease Rows
  5. Final Rows
  6. Finishing
With the mention of "rows" so many times, I almost wish that it was a rowing event...but that is not for me to decide (thank goodness, or I'd still be changing event names). And yes, that is "Finishing" mentioned in my knitting. Can't get away from it even in knitting... After knitting, there are stitches to drop and unravel and the inevitable weaving in of ends - and then blocking (which I'm hoping won't be necessary).

My yarn is Malabrigo Silky in colorway Arlene's Purples.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. I must remember to pace myself.

I hope that you are enjoying an Olympic event also!

3 comments:

Jean in Georgia said...

I myself am not watching the Olympics for a myriad of reasons, but I wish you all the best in your knitting!!!

DB said...

Woo hoo!!! Good luck. I remember knitting my Clapotis. The dropped stitches were kind of fun, but scary at first.

geeky Heather said...

Go Jill GO!!!!